Internet Center for corruption research
HomeCorruption Perceptions Index2001data collage money students passau shaking hands
Home
Contact information
Research Area
Corruption Perceptions Index
2008
2007
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000
older indices
childhood days
Lecture and Workshops

The 2001 Corruption Perceptions Index

Notes

2001 CPI Score - relates to perceptions of the degree of corruption as seen by business people, risk analysts and the general public and ranges between 10 (highly clean) and 0 (highly corrupt).

Surveys Used - refers to the number of surveys that assessed a country's performance. 16 surveys were used and at least 3 surveys were required for a country to be included in the CPI.

Standard Deviation indicates differences in the values of the sources. As indicated by colors, values below 0.5 indicate agreement, values between 0.5 and 0.9 indicate some agreement, while values equal or larger than 1 indicate disagreement.

Number Institutions refers to the number of independent institutions that assessed a country's performance. Because some institutions provided more than one survey, this amount must be smaller than that number of surveys used.

90 percent confidence range provides a range of possible values of the CPI score. This reflects how a country's score may vary, depending on measurement precision. With 5 percent probability the score is above this range and with another 5 percent it is below. This interval, particularly when only three sources are available, should only be regarded as a rough guide.

High-Low Range provides the largest and smallest values of the sources. And, because of statistical factors it is possible, as seen in the three cases in the CPI, that the highest value exceeds 10.0 in this column.

Country rank Country 2001 CPI score Number of surveys used Standard deviation High-low range
1Finland9.970.69.2 - 10.6
2Denmark9.570.78.8 - 10.6
3New Zealand9.470.68.6 - 10.2
4Iceland9.261.17.4 - 10.1
Singapore9.2120.58.5 - 9.9
6Sweden9.080.58.2 - 9.7
7Canada8.980.58.2 - 9.7
8Netherlands8.870.38.4 - 9.2
9Luxembourg8.760.58.1 - 9.5
10Norway8.670.87.4 - 9.6
11Australia8.590.96.8 - 9.4
12Switzerland8.470.57.4 - 9.2
13United Kingdom8.390.57.4 - 8.8
14Hong Kong7.9110.57.2 - 8.7
15Austria7.870.57.2 - 8.7
16Israel7.680.37.3 - 8.1
USA7.6110.76.1 - 9.0
18Chile7.590.66.5 - 8.5
Ireland7.570.36.8 - 7.9
20Germany7.480.85.8 - 8.6
21Japan7.1110.95.6 - 8.4
22Spain7.080.75.8 - 8.1
23France6.780.85.6 - 7.8
24Belgium6.670.75.7 - 7.6
25Portugal6.380.85.3 - 7.4
26Botswana6.030.55.6 - 6.6
27Taiwan5.9111.04.6 - 7.3
28Estonia5.650.35.0 - 6.0
29Italy5.591.04.0 - 6.9
30Namibia5.431.43.8 - 6.7
31Hungary5.3100.84.0 - 6.2
Trinidad & Tobago5.331.53.8 - 6.9
Tunisia5.331.33.8 - 6.5
34Slovenia5.271.04.1 - 7.1
35Uruguay5.140.74.4 - 5.8
36Malaysia5.0110.73.8 - 5.9
37Jordan4.940.83.8 - 5.7
38Lithuania4.851.53.8 - 7.5
South Africa4.8100.73.8 - 5.6
40Costa Rica4.550.73.7 - 5.6
Mauritius4.550.73.9 - 5.6
42Greece4.280.63.6 - 5.6
South Korea4.2110.73.4 - 5.6
44Peru4.161.12.0 - 5.3
Poland4.1100.92.9 - 5.6
46Brazil4.090.33.5 - 4.5
47Bulgaria3.960.63.2 - 5.0
Croatia3.930.63.4 - 4.6
Czech Republic3.9100.92.6 - 5.6
50Colombia3.890.63.0 - 4.5
51Mexico3.790.62.5 - 5.0
Panama3.730.43.1 - 4.0
Slovak Republic3.770.92.1 - 4.9
54Egypt3.671.51.2 - 6.2
El Salvador3.650.92.0 - 4.3
Turkey3.690.82.0 - 4.5
57Argentina3.590.62.9 - 4.4
China3.5100.42.7 - 3.9
59Ghana3.430.52.9 - 3.8
Latvia3.431.22.0 - 4.3
61Malawi3.231.02.0 - 3.9
Thailand3.2120.90.6 - 4.0
63Dominican Rep3.130.92.0 - 3.9
Moldova3.130.92.1 - 3.8
65Guatemala2.940.92.0 - 4.2
Philippines2.9110.91.6 - 4.8
Senegal2.930.82.2 - 3.8
Zimbabwe2.961.11.6 - 4.7
69Romania2.850.52.0 - 3.4
Venezuela2.890.42.0 - 3.6
71Honduras2.731.12.0 - 4.0
India2.7120.52.1 - 3.8
Kazakhstan2.731.31.8 - 4.3
Uzbekistan2.731.12.0 - 4.0
75Vietnam2.670.71.5 - 3.8
Zambia2.630.52.0 - 3.0
77Cote dŽIvoire2.431.01.5 - 3.6
Nicaragua2.430.81.9 - 3.4
79Ecuador2.360.31.8 - 2.6
Pakistan2.331.70.8 - 4.2
Russia2.3101.20.3 - 4.2
82Tanzania2.230.61.6 - 2.9
83Ukraine2.161.11.0 - 4.3
84Azerbaijan2.030.21.8 - 2.2
Bolivia2.050.61.5 - 3.0
Cameroon2.030.81.2 - 2.9
Kenya2.040.70.9 - 2.6
88Indonesia1.9120.80.2 - 3.1
Uganda1.930.61.3 - 2.4
90Nigeria1.040.9-0.1 - 2.0
91Bangladesh0.432.9-1.7 - 3.8

Note on the Bangladesh score:

Data for this country in 2001 was available from only three independent survey sources, and each of these yielded very different results. While the composite score is 0.4, the range of individual survey results is from -1.7 to +3.8. This is a greater range than for any other country. TI stresses, therefore, that this result needs to be viewed with caution.